Friday, February 12, 2010

2.12.10

Sometimes it's good to take a break, else you risk burnin' out. Trent and I had been long anticipating a visit from some of his old friends, Chris and Angie. Hailing from Alaska, the were going on a tropical vacation and arranged to fly out of Austin so we could hang. That was AWESOME planning on their part! Yay Angie and Chris! So there's not a lot of gardening in here, but there's definitely some worthwhile stuff!




In preparation for their visit, I decided to make up some pumpkin muffins to have around the house for snacking. My fall pumpkins lasted a good long time, so I finally decided to roast them up and prep them for baking.





Beautifully roasted, creamy and smooth and scrapes out with a spoon. Yummy.








Mashed, in a bowl, waiting to become muffins. Which they did. And they were wonderful. But didn't last long enough for me to take pics.






This is Flip Happy Crepes. If you're in Austin and you have never been here, you MUST go. Go early, 'cause they make these crepes individually and by hand, so if you get there at "opening time", there's already a line. We got there super early with a thermos of coffee and hung out. Drooling.






My handsome man and Chris, Angie's handsome man. Doing some manly ordering of foodstuffs for their womenses.








I think Chris had "the Cuban", which was my all-star favorite before I gave up meat. Yes, it still makes me drool, but I had some lovely, vegetarian concotion and was perfectly happy!









After some shopping on SoCo, we decided to take a tour of UT. UT is actually a gorgeous campus, even if it is notorious for cannibalizing its buildings since expansion is difficult. Chris is an engineer, so he got to look at some building activities, and I had fun reminiscing about my alma mater.








The old turtle pond is still there, and still chock-a-block full of turtles. Yay, turtles!!


Our tour took us by a slew of AMAZING murals done by graffitti artist Federico A. I know his last name, but I can't spell it, and I have @#$% VISTA so it's not so easy to have two browsers open at the same time. I'll update later with his full name. Check his stuff out - it's STUNNING. I love his Lady of Guadalupe. It would be dreamy to have it done on a section of our backyard fencing...

We stopped for adult bevvies and snackies at Spider House, one of my all-time favorite places. The outdoor eating area is just dreamy. It's full of things that inspire me with ideas for my own gardens. A claw-foot bathtub fountain, lots of crazy seating, old signage, etc, etc. Love it.





After snackies at Spider House, we moseyed on to the Lang Homestead. I harvested some greems to use in the night's white bean chili.







Mmmmmmm - white bean chili. Though I guess it's more of a veggie stew, as I didn't use any spicy flavors. LOTS of flavors, but none with heat. Served it up with cornbread and lots of wine. Angie helped cook! Yah, Angie!






Our menfolk, all tuckered out. Aren't they cute?! And there are the doglettes!



There's Angie, enjoying a pumpkin muffin. Yay, pumpkin muffins!! She and Chris are headed out to their tropical adventure. We'll see them again next weekend!

The END!













No comments:

Post a Comment