Wednesday, April 14, 2010

4.14.10

OK, so I found out I got a GREAT new job on Monday afternoon. I don't start for two weeks, so that's two weeks I can throw money and time at the yard. So, on Tuesday, I went to a local landscape rock place and ordered 3 pallets of the pavers I used for the first stone path. Then I went to Lowe's and ordered the paver base and sand and concrete (for the blackberry trellises). By the time I was finished with that, I was tuckered out and didn't do squat in the yard, even though I had tons of daylight left. Man, I regretted that, as I found out on Wednesday that it is supposed to rain EVERY SINGLE DAY for the remainder of my time off. D'oh!!!

So, Wednesday I got off my arse and got to work. The goal is to get the digging done before the ground gets soaked. Not knowing when the rain is supposed to come, I'm working against the clock!!






This is the path on the driveway side of the yard. Rather, this is a picture of all of the weeds choking the driveway side of the yard. And "Joe the Frog", my new front yard frog. Mr. Burpee might not be salvageable.

Same path, but this pic was taken from the house, not the sidewalk. Here, I've popped out the tall, vertical weeds with a pitchfork. Unfortunately, this side of the yard had a LOT of horizontal weeds too. That blasted grassy weed that roots where it touches the ground! Crikey I hate that stuff. So, this path isn't going to be as easy to dig out. What I'm going to have to do is a 3 pass-process. First, pop out the vertical weeds and loosen sections of soil with the pitchfork. Second, comb through each section of loosened soil with a garden claw to remove the roots. Third, dig out and remove the soil. If only it could be as easy as the first path was!!



This is the remains of the mulch pile that won't end. Don't get me wrong, this was a STEAL at $20.00, but I thought I would have used it all up by now. This pile is going to be in the way soon, so it's time to try to clean it up and make it mobile.



You know how I like the multiple perspectives....




First step down - vertical weeds dug out. Two more to go...


Loosening the soil...






Using the garden claw to remove the weeds...






This section is all cleaned up. Oooh, and there's a cameo of my handsome man!




Done! All cleaned up!





All the pretty colors!!





I love how there are white dianthus right in the middle of all of those hot pink ones!!






That shock of yellow is so cute!







My artichokeS!! For some reason I have trouble with close ups with this camera, but check out the two artichokes on the sides of the middle one. OMG!




And a baby green artichoke! So many of them!!






I think this baby is on my other plant, but I'm not 100% on that. Just smile and nod.


A fourth purple artichoke!

No comments:

Post a Comment